Depositing Your Papers
A key aim of Archif Menwyod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales is to collect the records of women’s lives and experience in Wales, and to deposit them in an appropriate public repository (e.g. a county archive office) for safe-keeping and public access.
- Diaries, letters, photos,
- documents, scrap books, minute books,
- notebooks, newspaper cuttings,
- posters, leaflets, and other memorabilia.
If you have any of these relating to yourself or others, and if you or the owner is willing to deposit them ‘via Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales’, you can enter all the necessary information on a Deposit Form and email it to our Collections Officer, or alternatively post it to:
AMC/WAW Collections Officer,
c/o Glamorgan Archives,
Clos Parc Morgannwg,
Cardiff CF11 8AW
For further information, you can phone: 029 2087 2299
Please note that we are usually not able to accept artefacts, though we may be able to advise on a suitable home for them.
We strongly recommend depositing papers etc. in an appropriate repository as soon as possible, both for their safety and for the history they represent, because:
- They will be held in an archive or other repository appropriate to the person or organisation who originally created or owned them.
- They will be professionally cared for and stored in a controlled environment to protect them from light, moisture and excessive warmth, and so be preserved for future generations.
- They will be publicly accessible* for supervised research by historians and other interested people, within the repository’s study area.
*In the case of certain sensitive items and if the depositor or owner wishes, an embargo of an agreed time may be arranged.
You may decide to delay depositing the material for a certain time (e.g. for your or the owner’s lifetime). We can provide labels indicating that, when appropriate, the material is to be deposited ‘via Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales’ and giving contact details. In these circumstances, archivists would be willing to give advice on suitable storage to use at home.
If you or the owner decides not to deposit, we ask that certain items could, with permission, be photographed or digitally scanned and added to the AMC/WAW website, so that the historical information is still available to researchers.